Saturday, August 21, 2010

Colorado Relay

I took part in my 9th Colorado Relay Friday through Saturday. 170 miles, 3 mountain passes, 10 team members, from Georgetown to Carbondale. After having 5 names in the 9 years, our team is now named "Running for Paul" after our best friend and team member who died from pancreatic cancer last year. Muneca joined Hula Girl this year as the team mascots. However, they had a little girls' spat over their new boyfriend, the gnome from team Peer Pressure.
As team captain, I was able to opt for the weeniest set of legs. I figured with all my hiking, I would be able to run uphill at 10,000 feet. Not as fast as I have crossed that beaver pond in the past, but I did it.
With our stellar new recruits this year, we set an all time record for "Running for Paul". We came 12th out of 110 teams, and Aaron, despite predictions from Les and Richard, managed to decimate the field over Georgia Pass and pass 32 runners with a time of 1:46! It was a happy finish in Carbondale, but I missed not being able to phone Paul and tell him that we were drinking an Avery for him at the finish line. Here's the team: Les, Bryan, Kelly, Aaron, Maggie, James, Aree, Tom, Melissa, and Carl.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment