Saturday, May 10, 2014

Angkor Wat

This area is so much more than I expected. The evidence of thriving civilizations starting in the 900's. Not just one temple, but a succession of the highest expression of their art. Rivaling the cathedrals, the Mayan ruins, Machu Pichu, and then multiply it all by 100. Some completely restored, others in ruins, some in the process of being reclaimed by the forest. And then think of the Khmer Rouge decimating the country in the mid '70s. We are so lucky to have this.

Almost every inch of every temple is carved or decorated in some way. In addition to the unique architecture, it is all adorned. Where the restoration is complete at Angor Wat, the bas relief sculptures that surround the building are monumental in their length. Other temples might be surrounded by piles of carved rubble, a 3d jigsaw puzzle waiting to be put back together.

While the overall scope is hard to comprehend, the details could drive you to stay here for months. Intricate lintels, turned ballisters, arches and passages. I was In one small hallway by myself when I felt I was no longer alone, I looked over my right shoulder and a fullsize Buddha relief was smiling sere my in my direction

 

No comments:

Post a Comment