Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Panama



All I really knew about Panama before arriving here was that there was  a canal going through the middle of it. 

Panama Canal

I always try to find a small border to cross into a new country with the, often Quixotic hope that this is going be the one where the burden of paperwork is somehow dramatically reduced. This was not quite the case crossing from Costa Rica to Panama but I sure found a small border post. After riding down a very rough dirt road I saw a few building and a petrol station on the side of the road. Having still got Costa Rican currency in my pocket I decided to fill up with gas. The pricing on the pump did not make any sense until it finally dawned on me that this was being shown in Balboas ( 1 Balboa = $1 ) — I was already in Panama!!
Not immigration of customs on this road but not wanting to run into trouble when leaving Panama I thought best to backtracking find real border post.

Next stop was  Volcán and then on to Boquete which was stunning. National parks, volcanoes and magnificent mountain views were the order of the day and the hostel in Boquete was a converted castle. Built just a few years ago as a private residence the Bambuda Castle had recently been converted to apostle that catered to all budget levels. I splashed out a little and had a private room in one of the turrets. 

The Castle in Boquete

Onwards to Panama city via Anton de Valle, another spectacular valley with lush vegetation. The roads in Panama have in general been extremely good with a four lane highway through the middle of most of the country.
Panama City - another huge surprise with not just a quint old town but also an ultra modern new city 


Old town Panama City

Ultra modern Panama City

"Screw" building in Panama City



Inductee into the hall of shame - Willy

Shame on you!!!


I left my hostel early in Panama city and as I was packing up I left my room door open. Willy the resident basset hound/ devil who I thought was my friend snuck into my room, pissed on my backpack, not just a little pee but a full bladder’s worth and then topped off this shameful act by taking a dump right on the bed.



Not all the animals were mean

Getting from Panama to Colombia requires getting self and bike on a ship as the Darian Gap region, although only 100 km wide has no roads through the impenetrable jungle. I have been told that everything in that region from insects, animals and drug smugglers all await their opportunity to kill you and probably will succeed in their efforts.
My solution to this problem was to take a 5 day “cruise” on the Stahlratte, a steel sailing vessel built in 1903. This vessel is run as a non profit organization with the sole purpose to preserve this floating relic of a bygone era. stahlratte.com


The Stahlratte



We had 10 motorbikes onboard which were winched up on deck. What a fabulous experience sailing down through the San Blas islands, which are a semi-autonomous region of Panama governed by the indigenous Kuna people.


Take it easy with that


Many wrecks on the reefs

Climbing the mast
Food onboard was great




The Stahlratte arrived in the port of Cartagena, Colombia on the fifth day out of the port of Carti in Panama, however it took another two days before customs decided to release the bikes.


4 comments:

  1. Richard the dogs don't seem to be with you on this adventure. Perhaps you should have brought Ruby down with you for protection?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see and keep track of your progress, the level of detail and the character you get across is wonderful! So thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see and keep track of your progress, the level of detail and the character you get across is wonderful! So thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. So this means that you are officially in a new continent!

    ReplyDelete