Wednesday, August 23, 2017

The Coast of Brazil

Finally the Atlantic Ocean

Salvador



I made “seafall” on the Atlantic coast of Brazil arriving in the beautiful old city of Salvador in the state of Bahia. This was after an 1800 km diagonal dash across the largest part of the Brazilian landmass. I wish I could say that it was an interesting ride but no it really was not. Eight to nine hours a day in the saddle for 3 1/2 days with temperatures soaring to 37 deg C ( 100 F ) with great waves of heat rising up off the superheated asphalt. I was very pleased to see the ocean. This huge area of Brazil reminded me very much of the South African bushveld without the animals or even many people and being almost completely flat it was difficult to see the horizon making for a pretty boring and tiring few days.

Mimosa thorn trees - first hill in 1800 km

A little town on the way
A lunch stop on the road

Three nights in the incredible city of Salvador rejuvenated me and I loved walking around the old city with its numerous plazas, hundreds of churches and many a sidewalk cafe just begging me to stop and have an ice-cold beer.


Salvador

Salvador

Narrow streets of old town




My pousada ( hostel ) was on this street

Best of friends

State of Bahia governor's residence


Skyline of Salvador
Motorcycle enthusiasts on the ferry


A ferry ride across the bay saved over 250km and allowed me to then follow the coast south with the first stop being at the surfing town of Itacaré. Many good restaurants, with menus that even included excellent salad choices which have been lacking in the central part of the country and certainly completely absent in the Amazon.


Praia da Concha- Itacaré

A local rasta dude


Itacaré

Good surfing ( I am told ) 



1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked Salvador! Went to Carnival there in 82 and stayed with some of JO's lovely girl associates!

    ReplyDelete