Thursday, November 30, 2017

Meanderings through Argentina

Treasure Map

This is a map that was painstakingly hand-drawn by my host at a BnB in the little town of Merlo. Edouardo took so much time telling me in great detail of all the places I should stop along the way.

The past 10 days have been at a lot slower pace than normal and without needing to travel any great distances it has given me time to ride small mountain roads south and west or Cordoba and explore a little off the beaten track. People in this region have been so helpful and willing to offer advice of where to go and what to see.



Another very friendly local who decided to guard me and my tent at the campsite in Trapiche, near San Luis. She restored my faith in dogs after the incident in Mexico where the campsite guard dog bit me first and then asked questions about my right to be on its turf.

El Refugio

Cavalry Lances


The campsite was on the property of an old estancia dating back to the early 1800s with the inside of the house looking like a hunting lodge where I was invited to supper my the proprietor. ( who also drove me 80km to get an aluminum bracket welded and refused payment). Thanks Mario!!



Cactus photo better than my condor photo



In search of condors at this national park I hiked about 10 km to a canyon where these magnificent birds were nesting. I did see three of these jumbo jets of the bird world that have a wingspan of up to 3.5 meters ( that is about 10 ft )  The result of my poor photographic skills was that these behemoths looked like sparrows so I will have to wait until I find one sitting on a rock by the side of the road.

Breakfast stop

Cabracito -- goat for supper


On the theme of people being friendly and helpful I have twice ordered the regular Argentinian breakfast of coffee, orange juice and croissants but when requesting eggs to go with that have been informed that that is not available. However when the food has been delivered to the table by the restaurant owner there are the scrambled eggs in pride of place on the tray.



Here is an assortment of photos from my mountain sorties.


Old Citroen still going strong

Fun to ride mountain passes

This road took a little more work - tiring 3 hours ride

Stone walled sheep pastures



Now on the Mendoza to drink a little wine

No comments:

Post a Comment