Sunday, December 31, 2017

Wrapping up a Wonderful Year






Listing highlights of a year is difficult as every experience is just so different that rankings and ratings seem somehow inadequate for the wonders I have seen, the experiences I have had and the people I have met. 

Well come to think of it this little person that came into the Thompson / Luck family in September has got to rate as the highlight of 2017 for me. Thanks MJ ( Margaret Joy )

Bariloche Cathedral


Being alone for Christmas and not with family was a whole new experience and with more than just a little bit of sadness I started out my day with a service at the cathedral in Bariloche, Argentina. That soon lifted my spirits. 

Bariloche main street


There was only one restaurant open serving breakfast in town so I sat down at a small table and ordered a cup of coffee and a couple of medialuna ( croissants). Finding the last table in the restaurant next to me was a man and a young lady. They started to discuss the menu -- in Afrikaans!!  I am not sure who was the more surprised, me or them when I asked, also in Afrikaans where they were from. Thanks to Frik van Zyl and his daughter, Marelize from De Aar in South Africa I had a fantastic Christmas which continued into the evening with a couple of good bottles of wine.

Lake Traful

A few more lakes and views to knock your socks off in Argentina and it was time to head over the mountains into Chile
Welcome to Chile


Saltos de Petrohué

With stops around Lake Llanquihue, Osorno Volcano and the waterfalls at Petrohué I now am on the island of Chiloé, south and west of Puerto Montt, the gateway to Chilean Patagonia. 

New Years Eve in the town of Castro - seems quite - not sure what I will do - facing a party of one - I have no doubt it will turn into a huge FIESTA

Happy New Year to all  - 2018 here I come


2 comments:

  1. Baai goed! How wonderful to meet an SA and enjoy time together. Happy travels X Stella

    ReplyDelete