Friday, September 17, 2021

War and Hope in Bosnia

 


It is difficult the travel in Bosnia & Herzegovina without coming across signs of war but no place quite like Mostar brings home just how destructive that war was, both in human terms as well as the senseless demolition of property


The old bridge over the Neretva River in Mostar was a casualty of the siege of Mostar with the almost total destruction of this UNESCO world heritage site. But just ten years after the devastation much of the old town and the bridge had been reconstructed. The bridge was rebuilt using the same techniques as well as a lot of the original stonework from when it was commissioned by Suleiman the Magnificent and completed in 1566.


It is 72 ft ( 22m ) into the water and a group known as the Keepers of the Bridge will jump, for a small donation, or dive into the crystal clear water below. It is possible to get training to do this but only if the Keepers of the Bridge deem you worthy - I did not apply, unworthy that I am.

It was nice to get out of the thick forests and into some high mountain pasture land where large sheep flocks would cross the road at any given opportunity

Usually accompanied by the Keepers of the Flock


I had a very tough morning riding out of Mostar and after two and a half hours of this type of terrain I had managed to manhandle Moto Naranja a mere 17 miles ( 27 km ) 

This was just after I had dropped the bike and had to offload bags to allow me to get it right side up - remember the adventure bit of this story.

Riding back into Croatia  should have been an easy hour's drive on a paved road but of course I decide to take the long way offered by Google maps. Not looking too carefully at the map I set off and unexpectedly came across the Border to leave Bosnia. No problems with that part but then just around the next corner was the other border post to get into Croatia -- um then why the hell does it say Welcome to Montenegro. Now I had truly had messed it up as I could not go back into Bosnia before first entering Montenegro.  I cursed even more when it took me ages standing in the hot sun in full riding gear waiting to get back into Croatia at the border post on the coast near Dubrovnik.

I have found a place to safely store my moto for the next 12 days to allow me to explore the islands off the Dalmatian coast and the best news is that Tasha will be joining me!!








No comments:

Post a Comment