Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Enough Snow Now!!

 

A snowplow had made it easy

The high mountains that the Trans European Trail passes through in Turkey still had plenty of snow but then just down the valley the scenery would change dramatically and the high tundra type of vegetation and pine forests would suddenly give way to the emerald green of tea plantations.

Tea plantation

I spent the last night in Turkey in the town of Rize on the Black Sea coast before heading to the Georgian border. There were trucks parked on the side of the road for at least 20km before the border waiting their turn to get through the formalities of passing into Georgia. I was expecting the worst thinking it could take me days to get through but upon arrival there was not another car in line and 15 minutes later I was into Georgia.

Batumi, Georgia

My first stop in Georgia was the Black Sea resort town of Batumi which was such a contrast of old architecture and then ultra modern hotels representing all the big names in the hotel world. This is where Georgians go for their seaside holidays.

Enguri River George
It did not take me long to find the good mountain roads even though it did take me five hours of riding in the rain to get there.

Mestia

The medieval watchtowers of the Svaneti region were also fortresses to be used when the invaders from just the other side of the mountain range ( now Russia ) came calling.

The road to Ushguli

The little village of Ushguli felt just so remote and the amazing views of Caucasus mountains that are the border with Russia were absolutely stunning.

Ushguli


Locals having breakfast

I was invited to this breakfast feast that seemed to be a lot more about drinking than eating and although only late morning had obviously been going on for many hours. I had a small glass of Chacha ( grape brandy ) just to show that I could drink along with the best of them.

Tblisi
I am now in the capital of Georgia, Tblisi contemplating my next move. I do know that visiting the wine region is next on the agenda but after that it gets a little more difficult.
As the land border between Georgia and Azerbaijan is closed I have one of three options.
1) Ride through Russia around the Caspian sea but this, although possible as I have a visa is probably not advisable. Not be able to use credit cards or get money out of ATMs right now will entail carrying hard currency and traveling through the Chechnya region.
2) Going through Iran but with an American passport this is definitely problematic.
3) Flying my bike from here to Kazakhstan. This seems like a possibility and so I am just now waiting to get some news back on this.
Stay tuned!!





6 comments:

  1. Would it possible to do this ride by bicycle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope option 3 works out for you. What another unexpected adventure! Stay safe!

    Les & Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hiked Svaneti 2019, stunning , take care , Stella

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ll take door #3! What a trip. Have fun! Love, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Safe Travels Richard - keep your head up, and don't test the Gods, we have some ski outings to still complete.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like reading about your adventures

    ReplyDelete