Monday, July 18, 2011

Chapin

I am supposed to lead a hike later in the week up to CCY (Chapin, Chiquita and Ypsilon) so I thought I would check out conditions. Fall River Road is still closed, but you can hike down from the alpine visitor's center. However, you aren't really supposed to go through the closed area, so I unsucessfully hunted for a way around all the closed signs. Once I got through to survey the snow on Chapin Pass, I decided I might as well carry on to Mt. Chapin. Pretty interesting being the only person out there on a beautiful July day!

The mummies always look so smooth and surprising on the back side, compared to their sheer fronts. Most of the snow on the back had melted out, making for an easy hike to the summit.

There is still a lot of snow in the area for mid July - a great combination of mid-summer greenery with snowcapped peaks.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment