Sunday, September 26, 2010

Emerald Lake


What a way to finish the official hiking season. I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day or more wonderful company. On the way to Estes, I caught the first rays of the sun hitting Long's Peak. I remember taking a similar photo at the beginning of the season. It would be hard to beat this commute! A little further up the road, right before Fish Creek, I saw a large animal on my right. Another bull elk running around madly because of the rut, I thought to myself. But then I realized it was a bull moose! Brown, ungainly, huge antlers, and a hump on his back, he was trotting through the meadow. Second moose I have seen this summer!

Bear Lake was calm today and reflected the stands of aspen like a mirror.
Dream Lake provided another opportunity to admire how beautiful this part of the park is. There is a reason that these lakes are the most popular destinations for short hikes.
My company on today's hike was a women's hiking group from Glenview, Il. I think I have found some soul mates. All were wonderful, but Liz provided a special highlight when she agreed to sing an aria from an opera at Emerald Lake. Surrounded by brilliant blue sky, towering rock walls and glistening water, her voice echoed off the walls and took my breath away. She received a standing ovation from the other hikers at the lake. This will truly remain the highest point of my season.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment