Friday, July 27, 2012

Parika Lake and the Raspberry Moose


It is always a treat to head over to the west side of the park. Yes, the drive is long and you have to get up earlier, but you get a chance to experience what happens when you mix gorgeous Colorado mountains with a generous amount of moisture. Throw in the fact that you almost always see herds of elk up on Trail Ridge Road at sunrise, and why not go visit.

Today we set out for one of my favorite places - Parika Lake. It's actually just outside the park at the very southern edge of the Never Summers. Big trees, plenty of undergrowth, and delicious raspberries 3 miles into the hike. A perfect place for a short break, although Bob and I could have spent the entire hike right there.

I am always on a moose hunt when I head to the west side, but I usually expect to see them on the valley floor along the river, not 6 miles up the trail and almost at tree line. Nate was leading us, came around a corner, and came face to face with Mr Moose. I think his heart is still pounding.

Parika Lake is always stunning. Last year I was here the same week and snow filled the other side of the valley. This year, all was green.

Many flowers were still blooming on the west side, but the mountain gentian remain one of my favorites. The blue is so deep and rich, and yet they remind me that the end of summer is fast approaching.

Parika Lake - Annie, Elliot, Nate, Kim, Kevin, Angie, Dennis, Bob, Dick, Ricardo (and Muneca), Catherine and Maggie
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment